Turn up? NO...Come Up!

Hey Peeps!!

Soooo...on Saturday I was at the Georgia Dome attending the Battle of the Bands. Hanging and having a nice time with my daughter and friends.  It was really cool watching the different colleges compete against one another. The only thing that about drove me mad were all the host/spokes people who kept saying, "WE ABOUT TO TURN UP!" "GET READY TO TURN UP." "I HOPE YOU'RE PREPARED TO GET TURNT UP." The more I heard the phrase, turn up it made me want to throw up!  I mean really, the saying has spread like a wild fire! There was one school that performed their rendition of one of my favorite gospel songs, Take me to the King.  They played so well. The commentator spoke words of encouragement as the instruments touched hearts. Ahhhh, it was orchestrated perfectly, very moving! Everyone in the whole Dome showed respect for God and it was just wonderful to see ALL colors, shapes, and sizes in unity. As the last piece of the song played, the spokesman said, "If He has ever done anything for you... If He has ever rescued you... please stand and praise him. Everyone stood. He continued, "Lift your hands and give him Glory." At that point, I was beyond words. I couldn't believe that God was being honored in this type of way. Right when I was about to go in (worship) I heard..."Now, that you are on your feet...it's time to for us to Turn Up." I sat down so fast! UGH!

Why does the phrase annoy me? Because look at what it means...

Turn Up -Verb:
1) Getting loose, being wild and potentially engaging in sexual activity with members of the opposite gender or the same gender if that's what you're in to.
2) Acting crazy due to consumption of large amounts of alcohol, marijuana, molly or other drugs.
It can be used as a noun where it is spelled "turnt up" instead of "turned up" as grammatical conventions would suggest. Turnt up is used to described the state of being wild and crazy like someone would be at a party.
It is not to be confused with the vegetable, the turnip, to which it shares some phonic similarities but is otherwise entirely unrelated.

The phrase vexes my spirit because it suggest we do the exact opposite of God's Word!

Proverbs 18:20-21 MSG: Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest.21 Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.

Our words are very powerful. The words that come out of our mouths is either adding life to whatever we are speaking of or about or it is either taking life from whatever we are speaking of or about.

Proverbs 18:21 NLT: The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

I try to be careful with the things I say.  I don't always get it right but I try to be very mindful. Example- I will not say, "I am catching a cold." Why, because I believe if I speak it, it can actually happen. So instead I would say, "A cold is trying to catch me but I rebuke that thing in the name of Jesus!" Now, this is me. This is my lingo so to say. I can't tell you how you should say something but that is just an example of being mindful over the words we speak.  If I say, "I am going to fail" enough times, what will happen? I will most likely fail. The mind grasp what the mouth says and the body acts what the mouth says.

With that being said, God does not condone anyone getting turnt up. It is not his will for you to act wild off of molly. The only one who enjoys seeing folks act a fool is the devil. Why is that? Because his role never change. He wants to Kill, Steal, and Destroy you. He has become a little more crafty in doing so. If he can get you to a place of having no self control...twist your mind up to believe acting wild is the way to live...man, he can and he will destroy you. There is such a powerful cultural demonic stronghold in this generation. Satan has authority and power over music, dances, phrases, celebrities, tv, fb and other social networking. He wants to get you right where he wants you so that he can kill, steal, and destroy you.

The term- Turn Up suggests you get drunk from drugs, act wild and crazy, and have sex with anybody.  Does that not sound crazy to you? What about this?

While you are getting drunk, be sure to get to the point of no longer remembering your name. Stumble outdoors and whip your hair back and forth in the middle of a busy street. If you are still alive after doing that, you will probably be dizzy and feel sick. Just play it off by doing the Nay Nay in between traffic as you make your way to the sidewalk. Be sure to Walk it out or 2 Step whichever you are capable of doing as you walk down the street. Oops-vomit time- never mind that, you see a Hobo...party time! Wipe your mouth and ask the hobo to have sex with you. Tell that person- man or woman it doesn't really matter, that you are feeling wild and crazy so it's perfectly okay that they may have a deadly disease, who cares! You are acting loose, you are flying higher than a kite. No self control-Enjoy yourself! Turn up! The next day when you wake up feeling sick and disgusted, in a place you have no recollection of, no worries, you can easily blame it on the Goose. You were just having fun-hey, you Turned Up!

How crazy did that just sound?!

Proverbs 10:23-A fool’s fun is being bad; a wise man’s fun is being wise!

I know some of you may think that I am being extra but, this is serious business here! These songs, the movies, the slang...all this junk that we are feeding to ourselves and our children because we do not realize how the enemy has tricked us into speaking death is crazy! Our children watch us, they hear us and then they repeat what we say and do. In this demonic world, I do not want my children jumping up and down to a song that entice getting high or drunk; doing drugs. Neither will I encourage my daughter to sing the melody of a song titled, "Drunk in Love" just because Beyoncé sings it. Amen, maybe Beyoncé does not have a problem with Blue Ivy singing it but let me hear my daughter talking about, Surfboard. Please. Entertaining the devil is what we are doing when we allow ourselves and those we love to be swept into his deceitfulness labeled, "trend." Who cares if everyone is saying it, doing it, living it. We are to be in the world not of the world. We have become the devil's little clowns, his puppets, his fools.

Some say, "it's not that deep-Baya! It's just about having fun." Molly and weed is not what we should be doing for fun. It is not God's will. And please don't be confused. Just because you attach something about Jesus does not give you a pass to use the phrase. You cannot get turnt up for Jesus! Saying that is a form of mockery.

Galatians 6:7NIV- Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

God tells us to live a life of self control.

Galatians 5:22&23NLT- But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Proverbs 25:28NLT: A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls.

He tells us to not get drunk:

Ephesians 5:18 NLT-Don't get drunk on wine (in which is excess), which leads to wild living. Instead, be filled with the Spirit

...to not engage in sex before marriage:

1 Corinthians 6:18 - Flee from sexual immorality.

...and If you are married, to not have sex with anyone other than your spouse.

1 Corinthians 7:2 NIV- But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

...as far as same gender sex:

Leviticus 18:22 NKJV- You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

It is God's will for us to Come Up.

Deuteronomy 30:9- "The LORD your God will make you successful in everything you do.

Come Up-Verb:
1) To rise
2) To grow up
3) To rise to the top financially
4) To succeed
5) To make it big
6) To snag someone who has more than you
7) Ending in personal gain

1 Thessalonians 4:3-8 NIV - It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.

Proverbs 10:14- Wise men store up learning, but the foolish will be destroyed with their mouths.

Proverbs 10:32 -The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable, but the mouth of the wicked is perverse (perverted).

If you have been using the term turn up it does not mean you are going to hell. But now that you know the truth...why use it?

The Devil wants you to Turn Up but God says, "Noooo, Come Up."

Baya

Now, If you see me in the Wal-Mart don't be mean mugging me or be trying to fight me-lol. I am just passing out the truth and we all know the truth shall make us free!

2 comments:

  1. God bless you woman of God. I was not familiar with this term until my youth group wanted to use for a theme Turn down for what. It prompted me to research and I am glad I did. It has given me a construct for my sermon for youth Sunday. Our youth are too quick to quote the world and not the word.

    ReplyDelete